Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Kathryn Leigh Scott's Frozen Daiquiri Soufflè
from the Dark Shadows Celebrity Cookbook


WOW!  I was overwhelmed by the incredible lushness, elegance, and thrilling taste of this utterly divine dessert!  Kathryn Leigh Scott offers what I consider to be the jewel in the crown of the Dark Shadows Celebrity Cookbook with her Frozen Daiquiri Soufflé.  The ingredients, eggs, sugar, cream and rum have never been raised to such heights in the kitchen.  Egg yolks and sugar are whipped until light and fluffy, combined with lime and lemon juice and grated fresh peel then cooked to a soft smooth custard.  Next, egg whites and sugar are beaten to a gorgeous satiny cloud, and cream whipped to soft peaks.  Finally, everything is gently folded together and chilled in a large mold.  And did I mention a generous amount of rum in the mix which gives this wonderful dessert that mysterious taste of the West Indies, if you know what I mean?  It's a recipe that can be fun to make and is quite beautiful looking every step of the way, but it does require some time and knowledge of cooking.  Working with eggs can be sensitive since you want to avoid curdling them on the stove.  Also, beating egg whites and cream to just the right volume requires some careful attention.  But the rewards are worth your efforts because the taste is out of this world...sweet, tangy, creamy, a little light and a little rich, with a nice bite of lime and the heavenly scent of rum.  I used my trusty supply of Meyer's Dark from Jamaica but that's not to say you couldn't use some good old Martinique rum and invoke the spirit of Josette in your kitchen.  I have to admit that I am partial to lemon and lime desserts, but this one is supreme and I think you'll be as thrilled with it as I was.  After sampling this, I have no doubt that Ms. Scott's friends must be delighted to be invited to her house for dinner.














































No comments:

Post a Comment