Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Jonathan Frid's Lemon Broiled Fish
from the Dark Shadows Celebrity Cookbook 


When I found myself wondering what to have for dinner on this warm summer evening I turned once again to the Dark Shadows Celebrity Cookbook for inspiration and found that Jonathan Frid's recipe for Lemon Broiled Fish was exactly what fit the bill.  A quick trip to the fishmonger down at the docks yielded some fresh caught haddock fillets and everything else I had in the fridge.  The recipe simply calls for fish fillets, but haddock, halibut, sole, or cod would all work well here.  Mr. Frid's great intelligence and taste shone through everything he did, and he obviously understood that good cooking of fish meant treating it simply for the best results.  Lightly brushed with butter and lemon juice, dusted with a bit of grated onion, and enhanced with marjoram, this fine entrée could not be topped, even by the local restaurants in Collinsport!  Easy to prepare too.  Just be sure to keep and eye on it under the broiler so that it doesn't overcook.  I used fresh marjoram from the herb garden in place of the dried marjoram leaves called for in the recipe, but dried is fine when you don't have fresh herbs available.  I served the fish with steamed green and yellow beans and little red potatoes and it couldn't have been better.  Also, it struck me that this is perfect vampire fair for a summer dinner since it is is light on the stomach before a long intense evening of adventures in town.  I suspect that Barnabas (or Willie) prepared this dish at  the old house fairly often.  Come to think of it, there was never a scene in the old house kitchen which I would very much liked to have seen.












No comments:

Post a Comment