Tuesday, December 31, 2013

(David Selby's) Quentin's Thirst Quencher and Midnight Haunt Sandwich
from the Dark Shadows Celebrity Cookbook


When I first took a look at the Dark Shadows Celebrity Cookbook one of the things I was most curious about was what David Selby might have contributed to it since Quentin Collins was one of my favorite characters.  His natural charisma and distinctive dramatic style made him completely likable and also made one wonder what he was like off the set, and of course, what he liked to eat.  What I found surprised me.  A sweet and tart brew of lemonade and orange juice and a triple decker sandwich.  The lemonade, Quentin's thirst Quencher mixes frozen lemonade concentrate with the juice of freshly squeezed oranges.  With respect for Mr. Selby, I altered it slightly and used prepared lemonade instead of concentrate and added sliced oranges as well as orange juice.  It's a sparkling and refreshing drink either way and is indeed a thirst quencher.  For the Midnight Haunt Sandwich I used a loaf of freshly baked white bread and a ripe tomato.  It also included bologna, lettuce, yellow mustard, and mayonnaise.  I hadn't eaten bologna in a long time but I can honestly say that it was scrumptious and I enjoyed every bite.  Eating was believing here and I would be pleased to have it again.  A nice combination of ingredients and an old fashioned treat, it was a bit reminiscent of the Dagwood Sandwich days, now gone alas.  Curiously, what I thought about while enjoying the sandwich was when and where Quentin might have made this  snack for himself, and why he called it "midnight haunt."  When he wasn't out in town, Quentin spent a good deal of his time sequestered in his suit of rooms in the east wing of Collinwood and I have always believed that there was a kitchenette up there somewhere that he regularly used.  It is a 40 room house after all.  
As for midnight, this is a perfect sandwich for a late night snack.  It's quick and easy to prepare, and something you can really sink your teeth into after a intense night of werewolfing  in the woods and out in town.








No comments:

Post a Comment